Friday, May 20, 2011

K S Balaji - The coolest Physics Prof ever...
It was June 1996. I was a class 11 student contemplating whether to prepare for the IIT JEE. An earlier attempt to meet a renowned professor, the venerable Balasubramaniam aka Balsu or Balu resulted in heartbreak.A friend of mine suggested that I meet KS Balaji at his Gandhinagar, Adyar residence in Madras. I went to his residence reluctantly mindful of the disgrace I had suffered under Balsu. KSB invited me to his room upstairs and treated me with dignity not generally conferred to students. That started my 2 year association with KSB. I was a shy type, never asked questions, but my mind was a sponge savoring all that was on offer in KSB's classes. Our schooling system with its penchant for discipline had turned me into a insecure wreck. I can still remember a problem that KSB solved in class, that I didn't quite understand, but I never had the courage to ask for his help in solving the problem. The problem is still fresh in my mind and I know KSB's solution was brilliant. Despite my inhibitions, I turned to be the best student of his class. In 1998 when I give the IIT entrance exam, all I knew was little bit of Physics. That was enough to get me a rank in the exam but wasn't good enough to get me an admission to any of the best engineering departments in the IIT's. The following years saw me studying in 3 academic institutions of repute. KSB had set a benchmark for teaching and no one else has been able to come close. KSB's classes had instilled a sense of scientific temper in me. It had instilled in me an ability and an eagerness to look for the first principles in all aspects of life. A learning that has been a pillar of hope at times of personal failing. 13 years after I last met the man, I still owe the man for whatever I am today, a tribute to one of the coolest professors in India.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting that you describe Prof. Balaji in such glowing terms. You mirrored my thoughts! I would definitely place him among the pantheon of greats. I didn't end up going to IIT, but still owe some of my success to Prof Balaji. 10 years and a PhD later (on the cusp of embarking on an MBA at one of the top Universities) I can definitely say this. He taught me Physics. But above all, he taught me how to think.

S

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he is the best physics. I have went to many other classes, but i find comfortable with balaji sir only. the way he teaches is like just saying some the concept in simple English which others can understand. i prefer balaji sir for physics.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Chandni said...

Any chance you're still in touch with him?

1:14 PM  
Blogger Chandni said...

Any chance you're still in touch with him?

1:14 PM  
Blogger Chandni said...

Any chance you're still in touch with him?

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi guys all the things you have said about him is true
i am now his present student

7:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pls share his contact number.would benefit many students

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Rekha said...

Hi

Any chance you can share his contact number? It will help a lot.

Thanks

8:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can I get prof Balaji's contact number

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Prithvi said...

omg what you guys said is perfectly true. he is the best physics prof ever i am presently his student.

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI, Can I get KSB's mobile no, if not in this blog email me to ksrini29@hotmail.com

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI, Can I get KSB's mobile no, if not in this blog email me to ksrini29@hotmail.com

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

his contact number is 93806 03290.

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home